In the summer when the temperatures rise, the last thing I want to do is make something hot in the kitchen. I like to open the windows, let the fresh air in, and make something cool and refreshing.
Even though the afternoons are hot, my husband and I enjoy getting up early on the weekends and exploring the farmers markets for the best local produce. I love getting out there and meeting the vendors, tasting the food, and coming home to enjoy the bounty.
This recipe takes the best of the fresh produce from the market and makes a chilled soup that’s perfect for summer days.
MTS’s Zesty Summer Soup
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and quartered
- 4 sweet red peppers, seeded and quartered
- ½ cucumber, skinned and quartered
- ½ yellow onion, quartered
- 3 cups ripe red plum tomatoes or whatever tomatoes you have on hand will work
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 red radishes quartered
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons balsamic (red wine vinegar will do)
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper (optional)
- Cilantro (optional)
- ½ avocado diced (optional)
- In your food processor combine all of your ingredients except the cilantro and avocado. Process until smooth.
Note: sometimes when I am in the mood for my soup to be a little chunky, I will chop and pulse my food processor until I get the consistency that I am looking for. You don’t have to just turn it on and let it go. Taste your soup as you go along to see how it tastes and feels to you.
2. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Chill for 1 hour if you can wait that long to give this soup a chilly temperature.
SERVING: In your bowl add cilantro leaves and the diced avocado for a refreshing and beautiful soup.
Try adding these creative toppings:
Cheese – Cheddar or Parmesan
Green peppers chopped
Or serve with grilled cheese sandwiches!